Alexis Marchitte—I remember when I was applying to college and every time I told someone where I had applied, I received an “Oh, isn’t that a party school?”. Honestly, I was confused because what does that even mean? Doesn’t every college have parties and bars? The biggest misconception of college is that it resembles movies and TV shows like Blue Mountain State, and Neighbors. Brockport, or any school for that matter, is whatever you make out of it. If you want to party, you’ll find one, but if you want to do something else, then there are THOUSANDS of other things Brockport offers. Although we all moan about the numerous fees on our bill, Brockport does an exceptional job of using our student activity fee. There are events almost every day and every weekend that cater to everyone’s interests. Here are just a few of the recent activities they’ve offered:
BSG: On-campus events
- Dip Into March Madness: The Union is showing the Syracuse vs. Duke game with free chips and dip.
- Movie Nights: Every Thursday, a movie is shown in the Union with pizza.
- Spring Concert: Lil Yachty is coming April 19 to the SERC.
- Eagle Day: A day of inflatables, live music, food trucks, face painting, games, etc. coming on April 21
- Spring Break Kickoff: A Friday night event with free crafts, BBQ food and a chance to win a raffle
- Study Union: Offered around midterms and finals, the Union opens up until 1 am to host a study environment for students with tons of free food. This year they had Moe’s, Mark’s Pizza, Taco Bell, Tim Horton’s, etc.
- Many, many more — with something happening every weekend
Campus Recreation Events
- Field House/Fitness Center is open to 10 pm on Fridays and Saturdays to get your workout on or play some pick-up basketball.
- Soccer, Frisbee, Volleyball, Kan-Jam, Kickball tournaments, etc.
- Club and intramural sports
- FIFA, Madden, Guitar Hero tournaments, etc.
- On Friday nights, the Brockport swimming pool has open swim from 6-8 pm.
- Every Friday night, the Brockport ice arena has late night open skate hours from 10-midnight.
- With 23 Division 3 teams on campus, there is always a competition during the weekends.
- You can even watch online if it’s an away game.
- This weekend there is a men’s lacrosse game, and once the weather warms up, softball and baseball will be having games all the time!
- Each dorm building has a big common/living area with games and a TV.
- Mortimer has a movie theater in it.
- Kitchens are available to make chocolate chip cookies with your friends.
Off-Campus Places to Eat
- Jimmy Z’s: Garbage Plates
- Mark’s, Perri’s, Salvatore’s, Domino’s, Pizza Hut, Main Street: Pizza
- Stoneyard: Restaurant
- 58 Main: BBQ Joint
- McDonald’s, Burger King, Wendy’s, Dunkin, Tim Horton’s, Subway, Taco Bell
- Brockport Diner, Coleen’s Kitchen, Eagle Family Diner, Two Brothers Diner
- Grinds 122 and Java Junction: coffee cafes
- Barber’s and Bill Gray’s serve food during the day before becoming a bar at night.
- Abbott’s for ice cream
- Wegmans (my all time favorite for subs)
- Kitchen Express, Ho Ho Hibachi for Chinese food
- Walmart (Cook your own meal! Each dorm building has their own kitchen.)
- TJ Maxx
- Dozens of little shops along Brockport’s Main Street (I love walking down the main strip once it finally gets nice out and window shopping.)
- Brockport itself
- Hamlin Town Park to play Frisbee golf
- At least 3 golf courses within 20 minutes of driving
- Erie Canal – take a walk and enjoy the fresh air after a long day of classes!
- The Strand – Movie Theater
- GIANT MALL, movie theater, millions of restaurants, etc.
- It’s a city — you can do anything your heart desires
- Museums, trampoline parks, restaurants galore
- Tinseltown (the best movie theater ever created — I go at least once a month)
- Letchworth State Park is only an hour away
- Lake Ontario and the beach is 20 minutes away
- Buffalo/Niagara Falls is about an hour away
And if you don’t want to put your books down:
- The library stays open all week long.
- Many buildings/computer labs are open for use in various buildings.
- Find a cozy cafe to study for those exams!
Honestly, I just scraped the surface of everything you can do on the weekend. Join a club, make friends in your dorm, join a sports team, pick up a new hobby! College is all about trying new things. Find cool people who want to try new things too and you’ll never be bored!