Alexis Marchitte—Whether you’re coming back to Brockport as an upperclassman or this is your first year of college, there are plenty of things you should be doing as move-in day approaches us.
- Working as much as possible to make enough money to cover your bills, rent, textbooks, dorm items, apartment stuff, etc.
- Buying all the essentials for your dorm or apartment.
- Back-to-school shopping for clothes, and new shoes. We may be too old now but I still love getting new clothes to start off my school year.
- Get a haircut! My favorite time of the year to try something new with my hair is in August before school starts, plus I never know when I’ll be home next to get a trim!
- Make all your appointments. Especially if Brockport is far from home for you, it’s smart to take care of all your doctor/dentist appointments before you leave and forget about them!
- Choose a meal plan! Whether you commute, dorm or live off campus, there are meal plan options for everyone.
- Buy a parking pass (if you plan on bringing your car).
- Apply for financial aid, scholarships, loans, etc.
- Compare prices for textbooks at the school bookstore, Amazon, Chegg, Bookrenter, etc. The cheapest option is the best option when it comes to textbooks.
- Look over class material. I know, I know it’s summer and nobody wants to study, but depending on your major sometimes it’s smart to get a head start by looking over some notes!
- Set up a job on campus! I remember my freshman orientation we took a tour of the SERC, and getting a job there became a goal for me. Once I got home, I sat down on MyBrockport and applied. Many of the jobs on campus can be found on MyBrockport or Eagle Connect.
- Visit with your friends and family before you leave for a couple months! It might be Thanksgiving before you get to see them again!
- Get packing!!!