Alex Bill—As the year has finally spun to a near conclusion, there are so many things that I have learned while here at Brockport. It seems that the longer I am here the more I tend to learn about myself, those around me and my future endeavors. This year has had its many ups and downs, leaving me a shockingly different person than the incoming freshman who thought he had everything planned out. I’d really like to give everyone some tips on adjustment and simply finding out who you are.
- Don’t be afraid to make mistakes, but don’t be afraid to learn from them either!
- There have been so many times where I have completely messed something up in the past year. It sucks when you mess up, but it is so much worse when you don’t take the time to prevent your mistakes from happening again. For the little time it takes, there is a huge boost to productivity and sense of accomplishment when you finally succeed.
- Don’t party too hard on the weekends!
- Everyone likes to loosen up and de-stress on the weekend, just ensure that you don’t party yourself out of college. Knowing people who do party pretty consistently, you see a lot of the negatives to doing so. I mean honestly, who wants to be tired, groggy and annoyed all the time?
- Change is a good thing!
- I have literally changed my mind what to do a thousand times, and honestly it’s a scary prospect. There is a sense of confusion that just comes along with going to college and finding out who you are, but never be afraid to explore. You don’t want to be stuck in a major or job that you don’t like. This is the time in your life to figure that out, so don’t be intimidated!
- Do your homework!
- Often times your homework can get in the way of fun occasions and numerous events. DO NOT PROCRASTINATE! You really don’t want to stay up until four to get that paper done. It’s not worth it, and you’ll spend your paycheck in coffee…
- Friends can be good and bad, recognize the difference!
- Sometimes it is really difficult to identify those who are having a negative influence on our lives and our day to day practices. If you find that you aren’t happy with your relationships, there are so many different people on a college campus, there is an unlimited amount of opportunity to meet new friends. Go to a club, an event or social gatherings!
I hope you guys could gather something helpful from my many mishaps and adventures! Always remember that college is about exploring your interests and having some fun, all while learning a little bit too! So go out and learn something about yourself!